With New Zealand having trip-friendly roads stretched across the country, taking a camper van on rent is a highly popular way of travelling there. However, getting a good quality camper van on rent is not at all a challenge due to the huge number of agencies based in the country. But yes, definitely knowing where you can camp and knowing about the restrictions at times proves to be a challenge. But overall renting a camper van is actually a pretty awesome experience and an excellent way to explore the beauties of Australia.
A campervan is referred to as camper van, camper or sometimes even a caravanette is actually a van which houses beds and several cooking equipment so that you can cook, live and sleep in it. When you are looking for campervan hire options then you are basically given two choices:
- Non self-contained campervan – This type does not include any toilet, grey water storage or shower. Here, you will come across facilities like fridge, seats converting into bed, cooker, blinds, bedding, utensils of the kitchen, dinnerware etc. They are not only easy to drive but their rental and fuel cost is also cheaper.
- Self-contained campervans – With these campervans you can actually enjoy the freedom of camping in approximately 340 free sites. This indicates that when you come across a beautiful spot, you are allowed to park the vehicle for the night without paying any cost. Here, you get to enjoy all the facilities of a non self-contained campervan along with toilet, grey water storage and shower.
Don’t miss out a campervan road trip
There are several benefits that you can avail by travelling in a campervan in New Zealand like:
- You don’t need to spend on hotels while staying in campsites, hence is much cheaper
- You have the freedom to take any route
- A secure protective shelter compared to tents while camping
- You can share the food and shelter cost
- Experience the wildness of campsites
- Stuff your belongings directly in the campervan and not in your bagpacks
Few things you should know
While availing campervan hire service there are few things that you should keep in mind like:
- The price factor – Camper vans costs double the in summers. It is always better to hire in the off-seasons to avail the cheaper rate.
- Age restriction – Some of the camper rental companies’ charges extra if you are driving and your age is under 25 years. Legally, if you are above 18 years and hold a valid driving license then you are allowed to drive a hired camper van.
- The ferry cost – Since New Zealand is made of two islands, if you want to explore both you need to avail the ferry service that will cost you extra.
- The inclusions – While travelling in a campervan you need not worry about packing too things as most of the New Zealand rental campervans provide you all the essentials like tea cutlery, towels, bedding, pans, pots, plates and almost everything that is required to turn your campervan into your home.